Langney Priory dates back to the 11th Century and is the oldest building in Eastbourne. Over recent years this proud building and its mysterious
grounds have fallen from grace, desperately needing restoration and a new purpose for the 21st century. Our project enables local people to be part
of the journey to transform the building and its grounds to give it new life and purpose.
Historic Langney Priory Ltd in partnership with Eco Chateau are going to sympathetically transform the building and grounds into a high-end
Training Hotel/B&B. Eco Chateau Training CIC is part of a well-developed transnational partnership network that is supported by the EU, National
Governments and Regional Authorities.
Proposed Timeline For Langney Priory Renovation Work
As an Eco Chateau project, the plan for Historic Langney Priory follows a very similar template to the ongoing Eco Chateau project in northern France.
- Apply for change of use - to be submitted early 2019
- Launch institutional share issue
- Submit a full planning application (skipping outline planning application stage and going straight to full planning application) - submit that by
June / July 2019
- Putting out tenders to local and national building companies
inviting businesses to apply and submit tenders based on a clear brief that the architect will produce.
Work will commence as soon as funding is in place and the above steps have been completed successfully. We anticipate the work will take between
18 months and 2 years to complete. Work includes:
The roof needs replacing, creation of a training kitchen, bedrooms to be upgraded to ensuite, reinstating/moving the staircase to the middle of the
building - reverting the staircase back to where it used to be will make the building work a lot better.
Outside renovations / conversions happening concurrently with work on the main building:
- Reinstate the cow shed in the cattle yard and convert into 4, possibly 6 holiday chalets
- Convert the buildings that used to be the dairy into 1, possibly 2 holiday chalets.
- Create 2 holiday chalets in The boathouse
- Construct a production unit (a large cabin) for the manufacturing of camping pods and shepherds waggons.
Limited 'meanwhile use' whilst the work is in progress.
Working with our partners:
- Age Concern's Shed Project
- Edible Eastbourne
- Compass Community Arts
- The Sun and the Moon Wellbeing Festival
This has to intersect with the major building work going on:
- The archaeological project (will need to progress ahead of the building work and pave the way for the building work to happen)
- Historic re-enactments and ghost hunts
- Residential weekends e.g. well-being weekends
- Small conferences
Accommodation during 'meanwhile use'
The cottage, glamping in yurts and glamping pods will be available for accommodation.