Volunteering at Langney Priory
Langney Priory dates back to the 11th Century and is the oldest building in Eastbourne. Over recent years this proud building and its mysterious
grounds have fallen from grace, desperately needing restoration and a new purpose for the 21st century. Our project enables local people to be part
of the journey to transform the building and its grounds to give it new life and purpose.
With volunteers helping to transform this important historic building and its grounds it will have a direct positive impact on the local community.
The building will be a source of pride for local people; it will provide employment opportunities and bring in new finance and investment to the local
community with increased visitors and guests staying when complete. The building provides a hub for people to meet, socialise and connect with others
from a diverse range of backgrounds, supporting community unity.
It is well understood that volunteering can provide positive benefits to individuals and we use the following approach when describing to our
volunteers how they can benefit from taking part and the difference volunteering can make to people:
- Gain confidence. Volunteering can help you gain confidence by giving you the chance to try something new and build a real sense of achievement.
- Make a difference. Volunteering can have a real and valuable positive affect on people, communities and society in general.
- Meet people. Volunteering can help you meet different kinds of people and make new friends.
- Be part of a community. Volunteering can help you feel part of something outside your friends and family.
- Learn new skills. Volunteering can help you learn new skills, gain experience and sometimes even qualifications.
- Take on a challenge. Through volunteering you can challenge yourself to try something different, achieve personal goals, practice using your
skills and discover hidden talents.
- Have fun! Most volunteers have a great time, regardless of why they do it.
We are working towards a timeline of 3 years until the building and its grounds are fully operational. Our volunteers will play a significant role
during this time and through the different stages of the process. We will build a strong volunteering team providing on-going opportunities of
development for each person.